Military members serve for many reasons, recognition is generally not high on the list. We serve to defend our country, defend freedom, and be a part of something bigger than ourselves. Though we don’t serve for recognition, it can be nice to have someone thank us for what we have done for our country. Veterans Day started almost a century ago with local celebrations and parades. Through the years, it has grown into a national celebration to remember those who have sacrificed more than most of us will ever know.
Now, many restaurants and retailers offer discounts as a way to say thanks to those who have served. This is very generous of them, and we want to thank all of those who support the military. If you are a military member or veteran, then I hope you can take part of this national celebration and enjoy a meal as a thanks for your service.
Please share this with your friends and fellow servicemembers and help them enjoy a meal as well!
Free Meals & Appetizers on Veteran’s Day
Please note that many of these offers are franchises, and the offer and participation may vary by location. We recommend calling ahead to verify both the offer and participation before you show up.
ID is almost always required, and again, this can vary by location. Some forms of ID include your current military ID card, a state ID with a veterans designation, a service organization ID card (e.g. VFW, American Legion, or other service organization), DD 214, and sometimes a photo of you in your uniform or other proof of service.
Unless otherwise noted, all offers are Nov. 11, 2014.
- Applebee’s – free meal. See the Veterans Day Menu.
- Bar Louie – free meal. Locations.
- Bob Evans. Free All you can eat hotcakes. Locations.
- California Pizza Kitchen. Free meal from the special Veterans Day Menu. Dine-in only. Locations.
- Cattlemens Steakhouse. Free 8 oz Sirloin Steak Dinner. Locations.
- Champps Americana – free burger with proof of service. Some exclusions. Valid at participating locations.
- Cheeseburger in Paradise. Free All-American Burger with fries with purchase of beverage. Dine-in only. Locations.
- Chili’s – free meal. Locations.
- Famous Dave’s – Free or discounted meals on Veterans Day. More info.
- Friendly’s. Free breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Participating locations only. Locations.
- Golden Corral – Free meal, Monday Nov. 17. For more information visit http://www.goldencorral.com/military/.
- Hooters – free meal, up to $10.99 in value with any drink purchase. Locations.
- Krispy Kreme – free doughnut and coffee. Available only at participating locations.
- Lone Star Steakhouse – free Appetizer. Please call ahead for participation. Locations.
- LongHorn Steakhouse. Complimentary Texas Tonion and non-alcoholic beverage. Locations.
- Max & Erma’s – free Best Cheeseburger in America Combo. Locations.
- McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood Restaurants, Sunday Nov. 9. Free Meal. Please call ahead to verify participation. Locations.
- Outback Steakhouse. Free Bloomin’ Onion and a non-alcoholic beverage. Also receive 15% off your purchase from Nov. 12-Dec 31, 2014. Locations.
- Red Lobster – Monday, Nov. 10 – Thursday Nov. 13, 2014. Free Appetizer. Locations.
- Shoney’s. Free All-American Burger. Dine-in only. Locations.
- Sizzler Restaurants. Free lunch until 4pm. Choice of 3 entrees, and a free coffee, tea, or fountain drink. Locations.
- Texas Corral. Free entrée from special menu, along with an iced tea, lemonade, or coffee. Locations.
- Texas Land and Cattle Steak House. Free appetizer or shared plate. Locations.
- Tim Hortons – free donut to all veterans at US locations.
Veterans Day Retail Discounts
- Free Car wash at thousands of locations at across the US. Find locations at Grace for Veterans.
- Great Clips. Free Haircut. Nov. 11 ,2014.
- Home Depot Military Discount – with proof of military service.
- Lowe’s Military Discount – with proof of military service. (more info on Home Depot and Lowe’s Military Discount)
- Sport Clips Discount – Veterans Day National cut-a-thon and Help A Hero program. Call ahead to verify.
Veterans Day Attractions & Events
- Anheuser-Busch Parks. Free admission for servicemember and up to 3 dependents.
- Colonial Williamsburg Free Admission, Nov. 7-11, 2014.
- Fee Free Day at National Parks. Over 100 national Parks will be participating in this event November 11, 2014.
- Historic Jamestowne – Free Admission November 11.
- Knotts Berry Farm Military Tribute Days – Free Admission for veteran or active servicemember, plus one guest. Visit site for more info.
- Pro Football Hall of Fame – Free Admission Nov. 8, 2014. More info.
- Veterans Day Parades – National list of Veterans Day parades.
We recommend sharing this resource with any other Veterans you may know. You can also find a more thorough list of Veteran’s Day Meals and Discounts at The Military Wallet.
Photo credit: watch4u