Military members serve for many reasons, recognition is generally not high on the list. We serve to defend our country, defend freedom, and be a part of something bigger than ourselves. Though we don’t serve for recognition, it can be nice to have someone thank us for what we have done for our country. Veterans Day started almost a century ago with local celebrations and parades. Through the years, it has grown into a national celebration to remember those who have sacrificed more than most of us will ever know.
Now, many restaurants and retailers offer discounts as a way to say thanks to those who have served. This is very generous of them, and we want to thank all of those who support the military. If you are a military member or veteran, then I hope you can take part of this national celebration and enjoy a meal as a thanks for your service.
Please share this with your friends and fellow servicemembers and help them enj0y a meal as well!
Free Meals & Appetizers on Veteran’s Day
Please note that many of these offers are franchises, and the offer and participation may vary by location. We recommend calling ahead to verify both the offer and participation before you show up.
ID is almost always required, and again, this can vary by location. Some forms of ID include your current military ID card, a state ID with a veterans designation, a service organization ID card (e.g. VFW, American Legion, or other service organization), DD 214, and sometimes a photo of you in your uniform or other proof of service.
- 7-Eleven – free small Slurpee on Sunday, Nov. 11 from 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. Proof of service required.
- Applebee’s – free meal, Sunday Nov. 11, 2012. See the Veterans Day Menu.
- Bar Louie – free meal on Veterans Day, Nov. 11. 2012. Locations.
- Champps Americana – free burger Sunday, Nov. 12, 2012 with proof of service. Some exclusions. Valid at participating locations.
- Chili’s – free meal, Sunday Nov. 11, 2012. Locations.
- Denny’s – free all you can eat pancakes from 6 a.m. – 2 p.m. on Monday Nov. 12, 2012. Locations.
- Famous Dave’s – Sunday Nov. 11, 2012. Free or discounted meals on Veterans Day. More info.
- Golden Corral – free meal, Monday Nov. 12, 2012. Announcement.
- Hooters – free Meal, Sunday Nov. 11, 2012. Announcement.
- Hy-Vee – free Breakfast, Monday, Nov. 12, 2012. Valid at all Hy-Vee supermarkets with in-store dining.
- Krispy Kreme – free doughnut, Nov. 11, 2012. Available only at participating locations.
- Little Caesars – free Crazy Bread Monday, Nov. 11, 2012. Locations.
- Lone Star Steakhouse – free Appetizer, Monday Nov. 12, 2012. Excludes Taste of Texas Sampler. Please call ahead for verification.
- Max & Erma’s – free Best Cheeseburger in America Combo, Sunday, November 11, 2012. Locations.
- McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood Restaurants – free Meal, Sunday Nov. 11, 2012. Please call ahead to verify participation. Locations.
- Outback Steakhouse – A Free Bloomin’ Onion and Coke Nov. 11-12, 2012. Announcement.
- Red Lobster – free appetizer, Sunday, Nov. 11, 2012. Locations.
- Red Robin – Nov. 12, 2012. Free Red’s Tavern Double and Bottomless Steak Fries for guests with proof of service. Locations.
- Sizzler – free Lunch, Monday Nov 12, 2012. Announcement.
- Texas Roadhouse – free lunch, Nov. 12, 2012 (11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.). Locations.
- T.G.I. Friday’s – free Lunch, Monday Nov 12, 2012. Locations.
- The Olive Garden – Nov. 11, 2012. Free entree with proof of service. Locations.
- Tim Hortons – free donut to all veterans at US locations.
Veterans Day Retail Discounts
- Free Car wash at thousands of locations at across the US. Find locations at Grace for Veterans.
- Home Depot Military Discount – with proof of military service.
- Lowe’s Military Discount – with proof of military service. (more info on Home Depot and Lowe’s Military Discount)
- Sport Clips Discount – Veterans Day National cut-a-thon and Help A Hero program. Call ahead to verify.
Veterans Day Attractions & Events
- Anheuser-Busch Parks. Free admission for servicemember and up to 3 dependents.
- Colonial Williamsburg Free Admission, Nov. 9-11, 2012.
- Fee Free Day at National Parks. Over 100 national Parks will be participating in this event November 10-12, 2012.
- Historic Jamestowne – Free Admission November 10-12.
- Knotts Berry Farm Military Tribute Days – Free Admission. Visit site for more info.
- Pro Football Hall of Fame – Free Admission Nov. 3, 2012. More info.
- San Jacinto Monument and Museum (La Porte, TX), November 7-13.
- Veterans Day Parades – National list of Veterans Day parades.
We recommend sharing this resource with any other Veterans you may know. You can also find a more thorough list of Veteran’s Day Meals and Discounts at The Military Wallet.
Photo credit: watch4u